Ron,

Found this thread in the archives, thought you might be able to help me.

Main question: If md5sum /dev/cdrom doesn't work, can I recreate the iso
file (in Linux or Windows (Easy CD Creator)) and get a reliable MD5
checksum?

Aside: When I run md5sum /dev/cdrom the cdrom spins for a little while
(2 minutes?) and then I get "Input/output error" -- any hints?

Background: I bought some game CDs and the game fails during one phase
of play.  The "manufacturer" is about to say that my CDs must be bad (no
scratches, no fingerprints, have had the game for 1 1/2 years with the
same problem in two different machines).  I want to send him the md5
checksums and have him tell me whether they are right or wrong (before I
consider paying $10 each for replacement disks).  (Along with
information on how to generate an md5 checksum.)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

PS: Shortly I will probably run some experiments -- burn a CD from an
ISO, recreate the ISO from the CD, then compare the checksums, so maybe
in a few hours (or days) I'll know the answer.

Randy Kramer