"jose orlando t. ribeiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> david,
>
> it seems that your new(?) HD hasn't been formated and doesn't have any
> partition created (as a new drive should be).
>
> Try to use fdisk to create some partition or file-system to make the
> system happy and let you add your drive.

Thats exactly what he did, and it died.

A POSSIBILITY, assuming that the other stuff is right (and beware -
I have a feeling that needs to be looked at first!) is to
simply say 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc count=1' and that will intialize
number zero to zero.

But I'd not said that till someone else spoke up saying that the
hardware setup looks good...

oops, now I've said it!  :-)

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html