"Bob Puff@NLE" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a problem with one of my ISPs that I'm 95% sure is on their end, but I want
>to get some opinions of the experts here, and know what exactly to tell them.

My understanding of the topology:

    64.65.206.24/??  64.65.210.162/??       IPob/??
            /---(DSL)----ISP#1----(DSL)----otherBox
        ethA              |
   LM7.1                  |
        ethB  (default)   |
            \----(T1)----ISP#2
      IPb/??            IP2/??

Can you fill in the other IP addresses (including netmasks)...?

> Scenerio:
> Mandrake 7.1 Box with two ethernet cards, one on ISP #1 (DSL), another one on ISP #2
>(T1).  Default route is set to go out to the T1.
>
> Situation: When I ping the DSL IP address of my box, the reply gets sent back thru
>the T1.  It works everywhere BUT within ISP #1's system.

So... from say 64.65.210.162, "ping 64.65.206.24" is seen by LM7.1 and reply
goes out T1; but reply is not seen by 64.65.210.162...  if so, read on...

> In other words, if I try to access my box's DSL ip address from another DSL line, it
>fails.  When looking at my box, I can see the packet coming in, and the reply going
>out to the T1, but that reply packet never gets back to the other DSL line.  It's
>like the DSL provider is filtering the return packet, because it isn't coming from
>the address it was initially sending to.

> This holds true for all services - http, mail, etc.  The DSL line has NO firewalling
>or NAT on it, so they say.  The kicker is that everything works fine on everyone
>else's network, just not the DSL's system!
>
> Also FWIW, if I make the DSL line the default route, all is fine, including within
>the DSL network.
>
> Is there a way for return packets to be handled differently?

I'll repeat a statement I made in previous posts:  EACH direction is treated
independently.  When a packet is originated (request OR reply), it will follow
the best LEGAL path as understood by the intervening routers.

> How can I explain this to my DSL ISP so that they won't dismiss the problem as a
>"Weird configuration on the user end"?

Without specific addresses, I can only suspect you are experiencing the rule
which states:  "a packet from netX cannot be routed through netY and back to
netX" [EXCEPT if the final destination is netZ]*

* the exception is not written up anywhere that I know of; but I did discover it
circa 1989.

This means that a packet going from S to D where:
S in   D in   routable via netX
----   ----   -----------------
netA   netA           NO (classless(?) & host routing excepted)
netA   netC          yes

This will take quite some explaining for those not intimately familiar with
routing; but this leads me to the possibility that your LM7.1 box and ISP#1 have
conflicting netmasks.  Without specific IP addresses and netmasks at each
interface involved, it is really complicated to come up with a matching scenario
to explain the problem.

> Bob
>
> P.S. the IP address in question is: 64.65.206.24

WAY too little info...  and don't even try to use bogus addresses; it is very
unlikely you could come up with replacements which could explain what is
happening to the real ones...  :>

Pierre