One added note, I have DRI-CVS installed and am using it.  I therefore have
the /usr/X11R6-DRI/bin path in my /etc/profile path statement.  When I do
env, I see the original /usr/X11R6/bin instead - a problem.  I don't
understand the configs anymore (I once did) since profile and .bash_profile
don't seem to affect much anymore.