Thank you for the assistance! I added the mrproper and install and it worked
flawlessly! Thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] LM8.0 Kernel Compile error

On Monday 25 June 2001 02:35 pm, David Paik wrote:
> I am having a terrible time compiling the standard kernel. I do a
> make xconfig dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install
> It continues to die on the make modules. I even tried doing a make
> right after a clean install (all configurations untouched) and I get
> the same errors. What am I doing wrong or is there a bug in the
> source that comes with the distro?

  I've always used this as a guide

  http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/kupgrade3.html

  Particularly the Makefile edit (INSTALL_PATH) and the addition of
'make install' (make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make install
&& make modules && make modules_install).  This installs the new kernel
and makes the proper links for you.  On the cooker list they're sayin
to _always_, even with virgin source, to run 'make mrproper' first.

   As to failure during make modules, I had it happen once when I
forgot to enable 'experimental drivers' and had ReiserFS enabled in the
config.  So it could be you had a conflict in the configuration?
--
Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay