I  hope  that  is the right place to find some answers. I need to know
why  cant't  I start X-Windows system with version 4.0.3. I had RH 7.0
dist   and  XFree  4.0.2  (I  think)  and  that  worked  well.  During
recommended  installation  DrakeX didn't activate XFree 4.0.3. Instead
of  XFree  4.0.3  I  got  a XFree 3.3.6 server which works with KDE or
GNOME. With XFree 4.0.3 when I started manually X it starts but when I
tried  start  KDE  or  GNome it starts but after few moments of KDE or
GNOME  loading X server broke. With GNOME the message is regular while
KDE  cause  to  X  server  broke  with  error message that log file is
located  at  /var/log/XFree4*.

I  found on some mandrake's mirror site newest versions of XFree 4.0.3
(XFree86-4.0.3-11mdk/XFree86-4.0.3-11mdk.i586.rpm)  but  I'm  not sure
that  would help. I also found XFree-4.1.0 rpms but before I decide to
download  any  of  these  files  I need to know other experiences.

I'm using Daewoo monitor 712D with NVIDIA TNT2 Pro 32 MB graphic card.
With  XFree 4.0.3 and XFdrake when I choose any resolution with 65K of
colors  I got test picture with TUX but in moment when dialog box show
up  X-win  broke.  I think NVIDIA chipset have many people and I need
they assistance to get XFree 4.0.3 works. I know that my video card is
supported by XFree 4.0.3 but I don't understand reason why I can't get
to  work. I also tried latest NVIDIA drivers for Linux but XFree broke
too.

This is my first Mandrake distribution which I installed and generally
I satisfied except this. Also I little disappointed when I didn't find
my monitor in list, because Red Hat 7.0 have it.

--
Best regards,
 Mickey                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]