On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 06:45:09AM -0600, Praedor S. Tempus wrote:
> I will try the Alt-SysRq-K option and/or the Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-B combos next
> time but...
>
> I am not certain that even this will do anything since when Terminus goes
> down, it appears that keyboard and mouse input are no longer accepted - a
> really major X crash.  I am not even able to do a Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc, to get to
> a new login and try to fix things from there, which has been a method I am
> able to use often with non-game-related crashes.
>
> In this extreme case, the system itself is still functional, however, since I
> am able to ssh into it and get a list of runnning processes with top.  At
> this point, I have run "killall terminus" but the system response is "no such
> process" so it appears that terminus goes down and takes X with it without
> leaving any trace of itself running - thus I rather doubt the Alt-SysRq-K
> option would do much if the system does accept that key combo (this sort of
> lockup has made me question the whole utility of enabling the SysReq keycombo
> when compiling a kernel - so far, every time my system has bitten it due to a
> game, keyboard input of any kind has been impossible, including any SysRq
> input).

The only time i have ever needed the Alt-SysRq-K combo is when Ctrl-Alt-F2
doesn't work - it works when nothing else will (i don't have another system
to telnet in from). If Ctrl-Alt-F2 works, i just ps -aux and look for either
x or even kdm. Kill it and it should pop right back with kdm (or whatever).
But if Alt-SysRq-K doesn't work, can you do something like telinit 3 from
the telnet session?

--
Chris and Yoshiko Spackman

www.openhistory.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (English)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Japanese)

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or
numbered. My life is my own."
-The Prisoner

PGP signature