OS:  Mandrake 8.0
video card:  S3 Trio 3D, 4MB
monitor:  Proview 765

Problem:  XFree86 SVGA server seems to be running at low vert. refresh
rate.

The above monitor is not directly supported, so I set it up as "custom",
with h. sync 30-70 and v. sync 40-150, as per manufacturer's manual.
I'm running 1024x768, 24bpp.  Under windoze, I used to run this monitor at
1024x768, 32bpp, 85Hz vert. without any problem.  But in X, I can see some
flickering, and I suspect (but cannot prove) that it is running at a much
lower v. sync rate.
I cannot find any way to determine what rate it is using.  When I start X
I can see that many modelines are being deleted by the server, but all the
important ones are scrolling off the top of the terminal much too fast to
read, and I can find no way to view them.  I tried the usual trick of
re-directing output to a file, but the file created is always empty, and I
cannot find a logfile for this anywhere.

I tried to force a higher rate by changing the v. sync range to 75-150 in
XF86Config, but that made no difference.  There is also a XF86Config-4
file - why is this needed?  Anyway - I changed this one too, and still no
difference.

Questions:
1.  How can I determine what sync rate is actually being used?
2.  How can make it sync at a higher rate? (I want at least 75Hz)

Many thanks for any help,
Bob Y