My experience is it depends.

My sound card, a SB AudioPCI couldn't share an IRQ with anything with LM 8,
or RH 7.1, though it did under 7.2.

My Advansys SCSI card, which shared an IRQ with USB and something else under
7.2 gave me problems, as did my Adaptec 2940 card.  And my second Linksys
card gave me problems.

OTOH, I just realized that I'm sharing an IRQ again with my sound card, and
it is working.  Apparently, when I reset the BIOS after a recent flash to
support a large hard drive, it changed.  And is working, though I have been
getting APIC errors and have been having heat problems.

I think it may depend on just WHAT is sharing the irqs.

For instance, I am currently running with the following configuration:

           CPU0       CPU1
  0:    1240367    1273317    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:        888        889    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  9:      38734      38768   IO-APIC-level  eth0, es1371
 10:       6506       6961   IO-APIC-level  usb-uhci, eth1
 11:        377        311   IO-APIC-level  aic7xxx
 14:      94704      94832    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:       1021        769    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
NMI:          0          0
LOC:    2513518    2513516
ERR:         22