An extended partition _is_ a primary partition.

The partition numbers from 5 and up refer to partitions
_within_ the extended partition.

There can be only four primary partitions -- all or none of
which may be extended partitions.  Non-extended primary
patrons can have no partitions within them, so if there are
four non-extended primary partitions, then there can be no
more than four partitions total.

Unlike Micro$oft OSs, Linux can boot from an extended
partition, so all primary partitions could be extended partitions
if you had no need for a Micro$oft OS.

All that said, there are two kinds of extended patrons
recognized by Linux fdisk and friends -- DOS extended (type 5),
and Linux extended (type 85).

Micro$oft OSs do not recognize type 85 (nor do Partition
Magic and Boot Magic), so that explains why Windoze cannot
see your ext2 partitions.

If you change the type 85 partition to type 5, both Micro$oft
OSs and Linux will be able to see the ext2 partitions within
the extended partition.