Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot even get arts to start, let alone deactivate it.
Arts starting is what produces, I believe, the error message about /dev/dsp
not being initialized.  I have tried building and installing the alsa source
included with the 2.4.6 kernel but sound is still toast.  I haven't had to
manually create a modules.conf for so long but it appears that this is what
is going to be required to get it loading - the system keeps trying to
install non-functional oss modules.  I have never run into the before.