On Monday 09 July 2001 09:29 am, Rusty Carruth wrote:
vi Makefile; make oldconfig && make menuconfig && make clean && make
> dep && \ make install && make modules && make modules-install

> During the vi of Makefile, I change the extraversion to something
> amusing (and different ;-) so that I get a new kernel version and
> modules version.
>
> Also, if I'm running X then I do make xconfig instead of make
> menuconfig)

> (So, other experts, what have I missed in my first-time kernel build
> 'script'? I've heard tell here about 'make mrproper' - what are the
> side effects of doing an mrproper, and where should it go in the
> above sequence?)

   Well, I'm no expert, but all of the above is sort'a what I use too.
I use a different editor and change two items.  The extraversion; I
usually change -xxmdk to -xxtom. The next thing is to uncomment the line
#export INSTALL_PATH=/boot   so that the 'make install' step will put
the new kernel in /boot.  I believe you also forgot 'make bzImage'  ;)
The methods I use are all outlined at
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/kupgrade3.html

   'make mrproper' is also in the MUO instructions. On the cooker list
the developers are sayin to run mrproper on all, even virgin, 2.4.x
kernel source.

--
   Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Galveston Bay