So sprach DStevenson am Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:47:53PM -0400:
> but this tells me I need to run a command to upgrade my database to db3,
> whatever that may be.

man rpm:
   REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
       The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is

       rpm   {--initdb|--rebuilddb}   [-v]   [--dbpath DIRECTORY]
       [--root DIRECTORY]

       Use  --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to
       rebuild the database indices from  the  installed  package
       headers.

-> rpm --rebuilddb

Alexander Skwar
--