Dear Civileme:

I tried sending you a personal copy of this message but for some reason
it was returned to me. So, I am taking the liberty of sending it to you
care of the Expert list.

Thanks.

Benjamin

Dear friends:

I have a most unusual problem having to do with Internet Sharing in LM
8.0. This is the first such problem since I installed and configured
Internet Sharing in Lm 8.0. I would very much appreciate your
troubleshooting on this issue.

Here is what's going on:

NORMAL OPERATION:

Normally, I first configure my ADSL, usually during Install. Then,
during initial bootup and thereafter, I see both eth0 (3com 3c905B) and
eth1 (Linksys "tulip") officially recognized during bootup:

"etho identified"
"eth1 identified"

Or something to that effect. I then log into the console (runlevel 3),
then log into KDE, click on Internet Connection. That connects me to the
network (my IP is Mindspring/Covad). And the Internet Monitor clearly
shows all three tabs for eth0 and eth1 and ppoe CONNECTED.

I then go back into Mandrake Control Center, Internet Sharing, run the
Wizard. It find my second eth1 card (tulip), downloads the necessary
Internet Sharing programs and, voila, it's done ("enabled"). And that's
the last time I need to bother with configuring Internet Sharing. It's
best, from my experience, not to try to reconfigure it or, unless you
are a computer programmer, things will quicly blow up in your face. It's
best to do this right after Install so that if something goes wrong, you
can reinstall your system and do it right. That's why I do it once and
then leave it alone. Whatever connection problems I have after never
seem to affect Internet Sharing. It remains solid and reliably
configured and always "enabled."

My dual-boot Tiger AMD k6-2 (LM 8.0/Win98) with ADSL is connected by
means of a hub and crossover cable and patch cables to our second
computer, a Toshiba Win98. As I said in my previous letter, once this is
set up properly, it can weather any storm, even when the IP is down. And
it has held up flawlessly until now.

THE PROBLEM:

Now, for some ungodyly reason, after following the same procedure above
that has always worked before, things have gone awry:

When I boot up, neither eth0 nor eth1 are recognized. Nothing is said
about eth0 at all, and eth1 gets the error message: "device unknown" or
something to that effect.

I have tried removing both ethernet cards from my system, replacing them
back one at a time, reversing their location, etc. This only makes
things worse. My original installation of the the ethernet cards remains
the best one, the one that has always worked in the past.

Yet, when I log into the console and then into KDE and click on Internet
(Network Monitoring), I see eth0 and ppp0 CONNECTED. I check and indeed
I am online (ADSL).

Now, here comes the weird part. I now go into Mandrake Control Center,
Network & Internet, Connection. I open it to see if the settings are
right. Then, suddenly, before my eyes, the eth0 and eth1 cards, which
lack their IP settings, suddenly come alive like Frankestein's monster,
i.e. the (correct) settings appear all on their own volition. I choose
Expert and check my LAN settings. They are all there just as it should
be. They would have to be. That's where the sudden appearance of the IP
settings has come from. But how?

I then look again in the Network Monitor and I see eth1 added to the
list of tab entries and now all three (eth0, eth1, ppp0) are working and
all CONNECTED.

Now, the first time I did this, our second computer automatically
started running ADSL. But, ever since, this manual intervention on my
part has failed to launch ADSL on the Toshiba computer.

What is going on, please, and is there a way to solve this problem. My
instinct, such as it is in these matters, tells me that it's probably a
very minor configuration issue, but I have no idea what and how to solve
it. I have already installed our system twice with identical results.

Finally, a question about LM 8.0's Internet Sharing Wizard. If you try
to reconfigure it, as I have found out the hard way, it gets all messed
up the second time and completely ruined the third time (i.e. second
attempt at reconfiguring it using the Wizard). Is there a way to delete
the Internet Sharing configuration MANUALLY so that I could then use the
Internet Sharing Wizard to configure it from a clean slate?

Thanks so very much. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Benjamin

--
Sher's Russian Web
http://www.websher.net