Howdy
I encountered a weird problem yesterday while installing Mandrake8 on a
friends computer.

specs:

MSI motherboard
Athlon 1.2 ghz
GeForce3 64 DDR TVout
Soundblaster LIVE
256 + 128 MB pc133 ram
2 Samsung HD`s one is 40 GB and the other 2 GB

The Install went fine the Smaller HD (hda) holds a small 2 G windows c:
partition and the rest of the small one is used as storage also fat32.
The bigger HD (hdd) holds as first partition a 20 GIG fat32 and the rest i
formated for linux ( / (reiser) , swap , /home (native)) .
Now first, at the installation, i installed the bootloader (lilo grafical) on
hda . I finished the install everything went fine but after reboot it hang
after :  "verifying DMI pool data"! I sayd "f**k" and put a bootfloppy into
teh floppy drive and did: fdisk /mbr  STILL THE SAME THING! Damn i cant even
restore windows original boot record "that is painfull" i said and booted
linux from floppy , went to drakconf and installed the bootloader on hdd
rebooted and changed the bios so that it would use the second drive as first
bootdevice lilo (textmode) came but the lover end was phucked up ... like
scrambled text with smileys etc. really weird BUT i could boot aswell linux
as also windows ... now an hour later that didnt work either anymore !
DID lilo kill my drives bootsector ??? Whats wrong i installed the same cds
on many machines before it never happend this way the cds are OK.
Help please i dont know any further.