    Laura> I want to get this off before I try rebooting.  I've run:

    Laura>         cd /boot
    Laura>         mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.3.later 2.4.3-20mdk
    Laura>         rm initrd.img
    Laura>         ln -s initrd-2.4.3.later initrd.img

    Laura> So you're betting that it will now load the right stuff?

If that's what you were betting, you would have been wrong.  It still
tries to load the old stuff, and I still have to load the advansys
module by hand.

So what else do I need to do?  I really want it to forget that there
ever was an eth1 interface and a ncr53c8xx SCSI card.  And to remember
that there is now an advansys card that it needs the module for.  How
do I tell it that?  Or how do I tell HardDrake or DrakeConf to tell it
that?

    Laura> Even better would be if after loading the advansys module,
    Laura> it detected all the devices connected to it and configured
    Laura> them, but that might be another message.

This actually did happen.  That is, on bootup, it did probe the scsi
card and configure the scanner for me.  Which it hasn't done before
since I put the new card in.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574