On 23-Jul-2001 Brett wrote:
> I've setup a nameserver running bind 9 and also the nameserver caching
> module/rpm.
>
> With the nameserver caching, what I would like like to know is -
>
> a) where it caches to ? (ie-which file and at what path)?
>
> b) where is the main config file that says which ip's may use the host as a
> name server?

the config-file is /etc/named.conf. In order to set which ip addressed the dns
should use you must use ACL (acces control lists). example below.
Have a look at the DNS Howto. It's gives a good overview over a basic DNS setup
(from caching only to a small domain). It covers bind8 which has a sligthly
other zone-file format. I suggest you use the files that come with bind9 as
base and edit/copy them to your needs. Then it will work fine.

/etc/named.conf example
This will make bind listen on the 192.168.0.* network and on the loopback
interface

acl "internal" { 192.168.0.0/24; 127.0.0.1; };

options {
        directory "/var/named/";

        # Just listen on the local interface
        # bind will listen on any if that has an address in 192.168.0.0 network
        listen-on { 192.168.0.0/24; 127.0.0.1; };
        listen-on-v6 { none; };         # no IPv6 addresses

        # Allow queries and recursion only from our local network
        allow-query { "internal"; };
        allow-recursion { "internal"; };

        # Since we have no slave - Do not allow any zone transfers
        allow-transfer { none; };

        forward first;
        forwarders {
                NAMESERVER1.YOUR-ISP.COM;
        };
};

# Your zones....
#END OF EXAMPLE FILE

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24-Jul-2001
Time: 08:56:25