Bill Beauchemin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I mount ther root device to another system and what will this do for
> me? I looked at all the logs and the one I want is dmesg. The only problem is
> that as soon as it reboots it overwrites it with new data from the good
> bootup.

Normally the text in 'dmesg' is found in /var/log/messages as well.

if not, then you COULD make a new rc script that you use to copy the
previous dmesg to a backup file (assuming its actually a file - I
thought it was a script that got the information out of /var/log/messages!)

Actually, I was about to say that it was too late by then, but if
you look in /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_everytime you'll
see dmesg being used to create /var/log/dmesg.  Not sure which one is
used, so to be paranoid before each one save the previous dmesg (use
a different file in each script so you know which one (if only one :-)
did the creation of the file).

something like:

mv -f /var/log/dmesg /var/log/dmesg.mandrake.everytime

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html