On Monday 23 July 2001 13:25, Ken Thompson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 July 2001 11:22 pm, Arnab_Ganguly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying this weekend to upgrade my KDE 2 installation to KDE 2.2beta
> > 1. I downloaded all the necessary Mandrake 8.0 RPMS and wrote them on a
> > CD. When trying to upgrade using rpm -Uvh filename.rpm, I have a strange
> > problem.
> >
> > For most of the files I get:
> >
> >                        "Unpacking of archive failed at file _____ cpio:
> > read, bad file descriptor" and installation fails.
> >
> > Trying to copy the files from the CDROM to the harddisc leads to:
> >
> >                   "Input/ Output error"  and the files do not get copied
> > properly.
> >
> > I had earlier experienced this problem while using the 2.4.1 kernel on
> > SuSE 7.0, but could work around this by booting my machine using a 2.2.x
> > kernel.
> >
> > Are there any unresolved problems with the 2.4.3mdk kernel that is
> > leading to these problems? Need I build a 2.2 kernel to get around this
> > or is it a problem with my CD. I did not have any problems in writing the
> > CDROM and I also know that this might be a download problem or something.
> >
> > While no solution can come with so little information, a few tips on why
> > this happens will help me understand what is going on. Here is some more
> > info:
> >
> > OS: Mandrake 8.0
> > Installation: Default
> > Board: Intel 810
> > Processor: Celeron
> > Normal working: Without problems, good audio/ video performance.
> >
> > Any tips will be great,
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond.
> >
> > Arnab
>
> I had the exact same problem and until now just marked it up to a bad
> download.
> I too would be interested to know the answer to this one.

Do you have a VIA Chipset with a 686B southbridge?  If so, CD writing may
appear to succeed while failing with data corruption under 2.4 (all versions)
 This also happens on same chipset (with ABIT and some other motherboards)
for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME and win2k.  2.2 kernal and Win XP seem
unaffected (so far).

And you don't have to build a 2.2 kernel.  kernel-2.2.19-10mdk is on your
distro CDs and installable.  The only restriction is that it may not use any
Reiser filesystems made by 2.4.

Civileme