On Friday, Jul 20, 2001, Craig Woods wrote:

> Still hacking away at rebuilding the bind 9 src file, I have added
> openssl-devel, libxml, libxml-devel, numerous updates, and a parser named
> byacc, and now I am closer than ever. This is what I now get at the end of a
> very long compile session....
>
> + cd /var/tmp/bind-root/usr/share/man
> + tar xjf /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/bind-manpages.tar.bz2
> tar: invalid option -- j
> Try `tar --help' for more information.
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47472 (%install)
>
> It is hard to believe but somehow, during the install phase of the "rpm
> --rebuild" process, the process is issuing a tar command with an "j" option.
> Hell, I have never seen a "j" switch, and neither has man tar. Is there
> someway to alter this command? I think it might be the last piece in what has
> been a veritable jigsaw puzzle......

It's been a long time since you wrote your original message, but here's
a reply anyway :)

The option -j is to uncompress bzip2 archives and then untar them.  It's
correct for the version of tar that comes with Mandrake 8.0.  However on
older versions, it's option -I, not -j.  Why it was changed, I don't
know.  Of course, this is assumming you're using the GNU version of tar.

--
Paul Cox <paul at coxcentral dot com>
Kernel: 2.4.3-20mdk-win4lin-pcox  -  Uptime: 19 days 19 hours 35 minutes.