That type of key has been artound for a long time. It is used alot in the oem
industry to prevent copying software. We used it to run wafer polishers.
Without the key the system wouldnt work thus preventing copying the software
to run a reverse engineered polisher. We sold to country's that were well
known to reverse engineer industrial equipment. The ones we used pluged into
the lpt port. The program would look at the port see if the key has the
correct code and then go on if not it went into demo mode.