Greetings,

   Is your network using hubs or a switches?

   If you are using a hub, this is a simple ethernet repeater, all
packets are visible to all systems connected to that hub (even other
hubs if they are all connected together).

   If you are using a switch, it is much more intelligent, and filters
out packets that are not destined for your machine. It knows which
packets go where by understanding the MAC address of the ethernet
boards, and routes based on this. For a special case of broadcast
packets, they are sent to all ports on the switch.

   The reason for using a switch is to enhance available bandwidth on
each network segment (it also helps with security, as you have just
discovered). e.g. if two machines are are communicating directly, the
other systems never see the network traffic.

   Therefore, if you are only seeing broadcast packets (including
ARP), this is what is going on.

HTH,
        DGO

--