Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am new to the list but have been using Mandrake for some time now and think
> that it is great!!!
>
> I would like to know if there is a way, or even some kind of kernel patch, to
> prevent a user from navigating out of their home direcotry?
>
> I know that by setting up the permissions properly you can prevent users from
> entering a specific directory, but I would like to prevent them from leaving a
> particular directory.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lonnie Cumberland
> OutStep Technologies Incorporated

> EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>      : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lonnie,

I am not sure I understand what it is you are looking to do. So I will
ask you a couple of short questions:

Are you asking about users having access to an exported directory on
some other machine (other than their own log-on machine)?

Are you asking about users that log on to a workstation, and your want
to restrict them to just one directory on that workstation?

If you answer yes to the first question, then my answer would be yes.
You would do it by applying the restrictions on the NFS mount.

If you are answering yes to the second, I must admit that I have never
had a need to so narrowly restrict a user in this fashion but I guess it
could be done by locking down his user profile. Maybe someone here on
the list has done such a thing before, and will chime in with some
wisdom.

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods