On 09-Aug-2001 Simon Li wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hi all, I guess i can ask this question here mandrake is similar to RH ?...
>
> I have two Rh6.2 system Kernel 2.2.14, (and I guess the
> installatoin disc are the same one too).
>
> I want to move:
> 1) User accounts (around 1200), and
> 2) Their files (webpage, email inbox)
> to the another RH system, where it has little users and files, and plenty
> free HHD space.
>
> Since the desination server has little users, i guess it is okay coz the
> userid
> would not overlay too much. (Userid below 500 are system account, and
> they have similar setting on the two system)
>
> My solution was:
> To append /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group to the desntination
> system. (with some manual editing)
>
> Outcome:
> It is fine  for passwd and group file. But the /etc/shasow file is locked.
> I sued as root and checked lsattr, they went fine. I guess the kernel (or
> something is lock it up?). I tried fuser /etc/shadow and it gave no clue.
>
> Since i am not able to shutdown these two server for long time or dis-
> assemble them, what should i do if I want to do things this way?

I don't know what causes the problem with the /etc/shadow file? Can you edit it
by hand with an editor. Are you sure you were root when you tried to read /
write the shadow file. /etc/shadow can only be read as root.

You could use NIS to export your users to the other machine. But that may be a
security risk since the encrypted passwords can be read by everyone.

Gregor

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09-Aug-2001
Time: 09:03:30