I've seen HowTo on copying install from old HD to new HD, but not one
for motherboard replacement. Hardware HowTo doesn't seem to cover it
either. Does a standard install customize the kernel specifically to
motherboard hardware?

I've a system with Mandrake 7.1 installed, but my main system has never
had any Linux version installed. In order to minimize downtime from
getting past whatever Mandrake 8 customization obstacles are destined to
gobble the most time, I'd like to use my brand new 40 Gb HD in my older
system to install Linux prior to installing the new HD in my main
system. I've already planned the partition structure based upon the
existing so that Linux /, /boot, /home, and swap would be the same
before and after copying the existing partitions from the old HD with
Partition Magic 5.

The older system has TX chipset (AcerOpen AX5T), MMX 233 Pentium, 128 Mb
SIMM RAM, Symbios SCSI HD's & CDROM, and the new HD would be /dev/hda.
The newer has VIA MVP chipset (Tyan Trinity S1590S), K6/2-550, 256 Mb
DIMM RAM, Symbios SCSI HD & CDROM, same video card as the other
(ET6100), same chipset on the soung card (ESS1868), and the new HD would
replace existing only IDE (boot) device, a 13 Gb.

Is this a reasonable plan? What gotchas are there?

TIA
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is
wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com