At 01:49 PM 08/13/2001 -0400, J.P.Pasnak wrote:
>On August 13, 2001 10:10 am, George Petri wrote:
>> > domainname.com is the actual domain.  By purchasing it, you can make as
>> > many names (www.domainname.com) and subdomains
>> > (poptart.office.domainname.com) as you want.
>>
>> With "poptart.office.domainname.com", can it be
>> www.poptart.office.domainname.com as well?  Is there any advantage in
>> leaving out the www bit (other than laziness on my part? :)

>Most likely not.
Yes, you could have a "subdomain of a subdomain of a domain".  It is just a
matter of adding the appropriate stuff to dns.
As others have said previously, it is the way the DNS is
>setup.   In the above example, you would set up the following on your DNS
>(general not specific):
>
>DNS
>domainname.com = IP 24.70.x.5
>office.domainname.com = IP 24.70.x.6
>poptart.office.domainname.com = IP 24.70.x.6

>So that when someone goes to 'domainname.com' they go to the server at
>24.70.x.5, and when they go to 'office' or 'poptart.office' they go to the
>server at 24.70.x.6.  The webserver would handle 'office' and
>'poptart.office' and ensure that they are sent to the proper directory.
>
>As I didn't mention 'www', you're now thoroughly confused.  'www' would
>simply be an alias setup by the webserver, so you can access it different
>ways.  You webserver would be setup like:

Nope....You can't use www unless it is in dns, so you can't have a name in
apache's config file that isn't in dns.  (Take a look at the httpd.conf file)
>Webserver 1
>domainname.com = /var/www/html
>alias = 'www'
>
>Webserver 2
>office.domainname = /var/www/html
>poptart.office.domainname.com = /var/www/html2
>
>So, in order for 'www.poptart.office.domainname.com' to work, an 'alias'
>would have to be setup for the 'poptart.office.domainname.com' directory.
Nope.  www.poptart.office.domainname.com would have to be in dns, not
configured as a directory.  Take a look at a typical vhost for apache
sometime--you can point any name for your machine to any directory you
choose.  Multiple dns names can point to the same directory.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978