Somehow I have lost password control on my formerly functioning system
which is Mandrake 8.0 with recent hardware I believe to be reliable.
The system has been up about a month.

When I try to login either as root or user the console window hangs up on the password
and returns 30 seconds later with "Login incorrect".

The permissions seem correct on the critical files:
  /etc/passwd    644
  /etc/shadow    400
  /bin/su              rwsx-rx-r

I can boot with a floppy into linux single but it doesn't give me much control
and I can't get into user mode so can't use X.

Do you think my shadow or passwd file has gotten corrupted?
They look ok on inspection with less.

Could I delete the shadow file?  Should I?
If that doesn't work delete the passwd file?

I'm way out of my depth here - please help!

Larry Alkoff

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com