On Mon Aug 20, 2001 at 06:19:50PM -0400, Digital Wokan wrote:

> I don't use Mandrake Update.  I haven't tried it recently, but I
> remember having difficulty figuring out what packages were updated at a
> glace.  I usually rpm -Fvh * and take care of problems as they pop up,
> or I use kpackage (which for some reason now throws an error before
> installing each package).

This won't work as a number of new packages are introduced.
Basically, we're backporting the apache in 8.0/cooker to 7.x... this
introduces new packages like apache-conf which is required.  So a
simple -Fvh will cause dependency issues.  Your best bet, when they
come out, is to do a -Uvh and only download the
apache/php/mod_perl/mod_ssl packages you want to install (or the whole
whackload) and run -Uvh on them.

It's unfortunate, and that's why MandrakeUpdate won't work with it but
there was no easy/reliable/whatever way to do it other than to re-work
the packages entirely (which would be a waste because if we have to do
it again, it means more work for the backport again).

Might be a little painful at first, but there is a method to the
madness... =)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.7-12.3mdk uptime: 4 hours 1 minutes.

PGP signature