ppp0 will only be running when the modem is dialed up, and if you don't have
ppp0 or the ppp daemon installed then, unless you are using SLIP to connect
to your ISP (doubtfull) then you will NEVER get a connection. how do you
_Know_ you don't have ppp installed? what is the _exact_ error message, and
from where do you get it.