Just a note to pass along a solution to the problem with the KDE clock
outlined below. I found this in the KDE buglist...

In my 8.0 installation, the location /etc/localtime was a directory
which appeared to be a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo. The buglist
suggested moving /etc/localtime to /etc/localtime_old, then ln -s
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific /etc/localtime to link /etc/localtime
to the *file* containing the correct zone information.

Lo, and behold - it worked!

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Mike

Having an interesting time with the KDE clock applet in Mandrake 8.0...

It can only display UTC; any attempt to change the time zone results in
a dialog box reporting "Error setting new time zone!" and the clock
remains in UTC.

The Mandrake Control Center allows the time zone to be changed, but the
change is not correctly reflected in the KDE clock. An odd thing: the
list of time zone choices given for the KDE clock applet is different
from the list in the Control Center. Does the KDE clock applet not look
in /usr/share/zoneinfo for data?

Using the "date" command with no parameters returns UTC; setting the TZ
variable in a shell appears to work, so I tried setting TZ within
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in the system clock initialization section. On
boot, it then reported that the system clock was being set to PDT
(correct), but the system time still appeared to be UTC.

Anyone seen this before?

Mike

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com