It's an idle task there to soak up unused CPU cycles. It should run at 100%
- whatever %ge the rest of the box is using.

It's not actually using the CPU cycles that top shows - it just credited
with them in the accounting files.

It's not your problem.

> CPU states:  5.3% user, 20.5% system,  0.0% nice, 74.1% idle

You're running at 74.1% idle - plenty of spare cycles on your box, it's
hardly breaking a sweat.

Now, how do we find your problem - next time this happens, switch to another
console (Ctrl-alt-F5 for instance) and 'tail -50 /var/log/messages' and post
the result.

Is there any HD activity on your box when this happens?

Also, I notice that X seems to consuming a hell of a lot of ram on your
machine - I don't have an Mandrake 8.0 machine here at work, to check but
I'm sure my box with 256 meg doesn't have 37M sucked up by X!

Steve Flynn
NOP Data Migration Ops Analyst
* 01603 687386