On Thursday 23 August 2001 15:04, J. C. Woods wrote:
> Civileme,
>
> Since your seem to be, among  your many areas of expertise, the hardware
> guru, can you say when, and if, we will see a mandrake version that
> works with the VIA 686B southbridge chip (VIA KT133A)?. Because so many
> issues are involved, i.e. the kernel, cpu bridge to bus device, and AGP,
> maybe there will never be a work around or mandrake version that can
> handle all of these diverse elements.
>
> drjung

Kernel 2.4.7 and on do have a workaround for the southbridge--not optimal but at least
DMA is back, and it never left for the Soyo and some other MBs that didn't try
to do anything fancy like soft setup.

The northbridge problem is minor, and usually cured by upping the CPU voltage
slightly, and
specific to a certain lot of the Northbridge chip (and no one knows which
manufacturers got
the lot), but its effect is that the system has to be unplugged to power down--not
among the
burning issues of our time.

Civileme

My test board is a cheap matsonic with a 686B and it has everything possible wrong
with it.  Kernel 2.4.7
runs my ATA-66 drive at 13.20Mb/s and kernel 2.2.19 ran it at about the same speed.
The
board is an absolute pig which would have been better if left on the design sheets.
Speed with
kernel 2.4.3-2.4.6 was 1.80 Mb/s

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com