On 28-Aug-2001 J. Craig Woods wrote:
> Sergio Korlowsky wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 28 August 2001 12:00 am, you wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > Has anyone taken the plunge into 2.4.8-12mdk? I have done so, and I am
>> > observing some strange things. For one, top shows one zombie running,
>> > and I can not figure out what it might be. No amount of "ps" commands
>> > with every possible arg has yet to reveal this zombie. On every other
>> > UNIX system that I have worked on, a zombie is NOT a wanted daemon. My
>> > gut, not my head, tells me it has something to do with "keytable"
>> > because, on several boots, it failed to start. I took a look at
>> > "etc/sysconfig/keytable", and all entries look correct. Does anyone have
>> > a trick to identify a zombie on Linux? Is this a bug in 2.4.8-12mdk?
>>
>> I did... and I am back to 2.4.8-5mdk
>> is not by any chance kpnpbios <defunct> "Z"  I had that before... hmmmm
>
> Sergio,
>
> You hit first time out, buddy! What the hell is it, some kind of process
> for running a kde version of "plug & plug? It has no pid assigned to it,
> how do you kill it? And thanks...

Just guessing here but I suppose the k stands for kernel. Is that's true then
it's a kernel process/thread which cannot be killed from userspace. This also
means that it doesn't take any resources.
There's some similiar discussion on this list concerning some other kernel
process. IIRC Civileme said that newer version of ps/top will handle such
processes and not show them.

Gregor

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28-Aug-2001
Time: 09:01:04

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com