On 30 Aug 01, at 22:31, Mitch Thompson wrote:

> Well, I've shot myself in the foot with CUPS, again.  I had it working,
> then I "upgraded" to 1.1.10, and now it doesn't even print if I downgrade
> back to 1.1.9.

This sort of thing always makes me long for a program that does the
same thing under Linux as GoBack does under Windows. (I.e., it allows
you to restore the entire state of the disk back to the way it was
sometime earlier, recover deleted/changed files, etc.)

When I first heard the term "disk journaling" I thought, "Yay! GoBack
at last", but it turns out that the term doesn't seem to mean what I
thought it did.

Every few months I go looking to see if there's a GoBack-like program
available for Linux yet (whether GPL or $-ware), but I've never come
across so much as a hint of one.

It seems odd (to me) that a system for which the sources are available
does not have a program like this. Does anyone know of any
person/group/company who is working on one? Or is there some completely
fundamental reason why such a program could not possibly be written for
Linux (seems unlikely, given that the kernel could be patched if
necessary, but one never knows).

And I apologise if people perceive this to be somewhat off-topic. If
you think that, just don't respond and the thread will last for exactly
this one posting :-)

  Doc Evans

Phone:  +1 303 494 0394
Mobile: +1 720 839 8462