On Saturday 01 September 2001 08:54 pm, you wrote:
> After upgrding to beta 2, everytime I pull up a console, I get the
> following error:
>
> id: cannot find name for group ID 501
>
> I've checked, and this is actually a user id - the user in question can
> still log on fine, but it annoying...
>
> ...any ideas how to fix it?
>
> cheers

As you mention... you did an upgrade to beta 2, most probable you had an
account /home/xxx (admin) or whatever and is using ID 501
most of the time is ID 500  so you probable have both 500 and 501, I suggest
you use 'linuxconf' and check user accounts, while there you might even
rename or delete the old account ID 501 and leave active most likely ID 500

First start 'linuxconf' go to Users, then click on users accounts and find
out who is using account 501 ( I almost certain is an old account)
and if you no longer use it delete it!
--
SedeComp Comunicaciones Internet Solutions
MandrakeSoft's VAR and System Integrator

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-12mdkenterprise uptime: 0 hours 35 minutes.