so you are saying that their priorities are to wait till they are
compromised and then try to deal with it??

Is it just me or does that seem like a bad idea?

I have dealt with reloading compromised servers, (NT and unix) and it seems
to take me alot longer then 10-20 minutes a week looking for patches....

Maybe thats why stuff like what we are talking about here is a good thing...

Force the bean counters to stop stuff like code red BEFORE it has done its
thing...

Give the IT guys some slack and leeway,, the only way that can happen, is
for the bean counters to realise that its more expensive to fix a server
once its been hacked then to patch it before hand...

Unintented downtime is as good a way as any to convince them of that...

Since they insist on running MS server software, they should be prepared to
have to patch it, they go hand in hand...

If they didn't patch this one, which has been around for ages, how many
other holes are there in their security?

Having said that, I have not implimented it either... don't have time to
mess around with stuff like that.. :-)

I am too busy writing perl shopping carts and stuff for our company.

much rather be doing that then patching servers or reloading compromised
ones..

rgds

Frank