in my experience, I've had a terrible time...doing what you
want...UNLESS,
I do a complete install, not a rescue, or a upgrade....SORRY.

However, you don't have to lose your other partitions,
(home,usr,var,...etc)
if you do the following....
Depending on how you've partitioned your linux...all you do,
is do a complete install, and when you get to the point, where it asks
you
what do you want to format and partiton...just tell it, you JUST want
ROOT, done.
then just install as usual...normally.

Hope this helps...

--