The main reason for initrd's is not filesystems. There aren't that much
important filesystems the kernel must know before loading modules  and they can
easily be build into the kernel itself.
The reason are more the SCSI-Controllers, Network card (for network boot).
Since the kernel must have these drivers to be able to boot the system.

On 07-Sep-2001 lhon wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Many distribution are very confuse (foolish), most distribution need this
> kind
> of
> file to load something in RAM first to function , e.g. some type of  file
> systems, but the kernel
> of  2.4.7 seems not need to load some modules first and already bundled in,
> e.g.
> reiserfs file system, you should check.
>
> I tried many (over 10) famous distributions of Linux, nearly no one help to
> create
> this file, a command mk_initrd or mkinitrd should do so, but need manualy to
> do.
> Wonder, these distribution are all contain document in their web site teach
> people
> about early modules loading process and to use these 2 commands.
> Except specially build the post-install steps, rpm natively not create this
> file, it is
> realy surprise me before.
>
> Don't think you can create back initrd.img file after reboot if not previous
> create.
>
> Nowaday, harddisk is much cheaper , just install new kernel and update
> lilo/grub and
> make initrd.img,  don't upgrade/replace the working kernel.
>
> Even just update/upgrade some simple packages will cause the system problems.
>
> Regards,
> Leo Hon
>
> Scott Thurmond wrote:
>
>> I used the software manager to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.3 to 2.4.7.
>>
>> I noticed the new files in my /boot directory, except the initrd-2.4.7*img
>> file.
>>
>> Do I have to change the links to point to the new kernel or should the
>> software installer have done that for me?
>>
>> -Scott

>> Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
>> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07-Sep-2001
Time: 09:56:29