Looks like the disk quotas for that user is full. When a X-sesion starts it
writes something to harddisk (homedir, I think). On the console it doesn't.
Use quota to check if that's the problem.

Another possibility would be that the disk is full. On each filesystem there is
some space reservered for root. So when some user fills up the disk root can
still work. Have a look at this too.

IIRC there's a limit.conf file in /etc but I don't know what you can do with it
- but I think it's worth a try.

If all else failes, maybe some log file is too big (IIRC ext2 can't create
files larger than 2GB) - so maybe you have such a file (although that's really
unlikely).

Hope that helps.

On 06-Sep-2001 Juergen Hammelmann wrote:

> I get a strange error when I tra to log in as a user by su
> after setting the password su fails with the message that "the maximal
> file size is exceeded" ("Die maximale Dateigrv_e ist |berschritten")
> This error comes when working in XWindows not at the console.
>
> Whats the error?
>
> Ciao, J|rgen
> --
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       address: J. Hammelmann, Br|hlstr. 6
> phone: +49-7034-61578, +49-179-2178869          D-71157 Hildrizhausen,
> Germany
> fax:   +49-7034-652189
> www:   http://www.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/~hammelje

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07-Sep-2001
Time: 13:43:11