At 05:01 PM 09/08/2001 +0200, joy_ping wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Ron Johnson wrote:
>

>> Moving from mdk7.2 to 8.0 required a complete reinstall to make
>> sure no "ghosts from the past" remain to cause problems.
>
>this is a mandrake thing i think. cause they have some misteries directory
>organisation, and they changed it so hard, that it is completly different
>from the further releases. its not only unusable for other software, its
>unusable for the mandrake-made-updatetools too!!
No, this isn't a Mandrake specific thing.  This happens occassionally on
any release of a new .0 version.  For example, when RedHat released 7.0
many things broke, which were then fixed in 7.1 (for example, they included
rpm 4.x, which is backwards compatible with 3.x--but the reverse isn't
true-- rpm 3.x isn't necessarily upwards compatible with 4.x) .
>im know upgrading (since severel weeks) my mk 7.1 box, to a
>linux-from-scratch release, and it works better than an mk 8.0 update i
>think. only one thing that brings me up is that the rpm-tools wich
>provided by this release dont work. for example when i make rpm -e
>--nodeps something, there are still some librarys and docs lying around
>wich
>i have to delete manually. dont know, maybe the database is not set up
>properly, i didnt changed anything on this rpm-shit.

Actually, rpm -e --nodeps will only delete core binary files--it will not
delete the libraries required to run the program.  If you want to fully
remove a program, you have to run rpm -e <packagename>.  If that still
doesn't remove everything--well, it's several orders of magnitude worse
with windows, which doesn't necessarily remove everything either.

>This
>> is because massive amounts of upgraded libraries were introduced,
>> and many directories were moved.  As we have seen so many threads
>> here on this list, upgrading a mdk7.2 system in these 8.0 days
>> requires compiling SRPMs, and many times, they won't work because
>> of the aforementioned upgraded libraries and moved directories.

Not true--I've successfully compiled and installed some cooker srpms to
work with a Mandrake 7.2 install.  What moved directories?  As far as I
remember there have been no directory changes since 7.0 --the libraries may
be newer version, but they have not changed where they put stuff.

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978