Daniel Axtell grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> I'm setting up a machine with a 20-G hard drive to be a webserver and
> mysql server.  I've been reading a lot of good things about Reiser FS (the
> MySQL docs recommend it also) and am planning to format most, if not all,
> of the disk this way.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 8.0, and I'm wondering which approach is better: one
> big Rieser FS partition, or a small ext2 / partition with the rest Rieser?
> And is it feasable to have /var, /usr, /home on one partition, and the
> system stuff like /boot, /etc, /dev on one ext2 partition?

I'm using Mandrake 8.0 also, and I don't know if it was due to something I
did wrong, or just a problem in general, but I found that if everything was
Reiser FS, it wouldn't boot.  My way of getting around it was to create a
30M /boot partition (bigger than will probably be needed :) formatted as
ext2, and then everything else (/home, /usr, etc.) was formatted as Reiser
FS.

HTH.

               --Dave

--