On Monday 10 September 2001 01:15, Mark wrote:
> Can windows media files such as .wmv be viewed in Linux other than
> porting the ms media player across.  I really don't have any other need
> for windows products bar this one and don not wish to install windows at
> all.  I can't seem to find any linux program that plays these files OR
> is there a way of converting the .wmv to a readable file such as mpg????
>
> thanx
>
> Mark

Well, the scheme is encryption of the media and making a translator would be
breaking encryption of (possibly) copyrighted material.  This is a violation
of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which seems to fly in the face of many
court decisions regarding fair use of copyrighted material.

The DMCA would most likely be used to fine or imprison anyone who broke the
encryption scheme (to protect copyrighted material) to allow a conversion, so
if Microsoft doesn't do it, no one else legally can do it either.

The same applies to the rather mediocre quality movies known as .asf files,
but in that case Microsoft has patented them despite the prior art of mpeg.

Civileme