On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 15:13, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for some reason, even though Mandrake Control Center says differently, Samba
> needs to be started manually typing "service smb start"  as root. However, I
> would like to have the smb service started at boot. How do I go about having
> this happen?

Look for an init script in /etc/init.d/, probably called 'smb'. Then,
look in /etc/rc5.d/ (if you boot into X-Windows automatically) for a
script called something like 'S91smb'. The various S* files are actually
links to /etc/init.d/*. If you don't have some file like S*smb or
S*smbd, then you can create one. Use the following command:
        ln -s /etc/init.d/smb S91smb

Notice that the first letter of the filename *must* be a capital 'S',
followed by a number (mine is 91), followed by a meaningful name like
smb.

These scripts are run by the initd daemon every time your system boots.
The files in /etc/rc5.d/ are for runlevel 5 (automatic boot into
X-windows), and the files in /etc/rc3.d/ are for runlevel 3 (boot to
command prompt). You might want to create a similar link in /etc/rc3.d/,
just in case you decide in the future to change your runlevel option.

Dave

PGP signature