For 1 and 2, were you in "Newbie" install mode?  I know in "Expert" it
prompts for these things.

For 3, try "alsamixer".  If that doesn't work, try the program "aumix".
There are two different sound systems available under Mandrake.  These are
their different volume control programs.

-- Asheesh.

--
Fortune finishes the great quotations, #12

        Those who can, do.  Those who can't, write the instructions.