        From:   Mike & Tracy Holt [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Sunday, September 16, 2001 7:23 AM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        [expert] spaces and command line

        I've got a couple of newbie questions that I've just never really
        bothered asking before but it's always bothered me, so here goes.
1st,
        I've noticed that bash doesn't seem to handle spaces in directory or
        file names very well.  When I look at my windows partitions from
linux,
        I can see the complete file names, but when I try to 'cd' to a
certain
        directory, bash doesn't seem to deal to well with the spaces.  I've
        found that I can just use an asterisk in place of the spaces, but is
        there another way?

        2nd, if I'm at the command line, no X server involved, is there a
way to
        'scroll' up to see what stout was previously on the screen?  Say I
do
        'ls' and then do some other stuff and lose that information, is
there
        anyway to retrieve that screen or is it just printed once and lost?

        ====================
        Mike & Tracy Holt
        Kirkland, WA
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        ====================

         << File: message.footer >>

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email
the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or
take/retain/distribute any copies.

Norwich Union Life & Pensions Limited
Registered Office 2 Rougier Street
York YO90 1UU
Registered in England Number 3253947
A member of the Norwich Union Marketing Group
which is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
Member of the Association of British Insurers.

For further Enquires 01603 622200