What ports in particular?

Some ports are controlled by a program called xinetd, a "superserver";
others are controlled by one specific program.

Example: SSH is controlled by the OpenSSH program, but telnet is part of
the xinetd superserver.

Try this command (as root):

netstat --listening --program

It should show you a list of what programs are listening on what port.  It
will give you names instead of numbers (i.e., "ssh" instead of "22").
Give it the --numeric option if you want numbers rather than names.

Please reply with the output of that command.  Unlike Windows, Linux
actually has reasons to have ports open - any Mandrake machine can be
logged into remotely (and securely) by using the SSH protocol, for
example.

Ask for more of an explanation if you need one.

-- Asheesh.