On Thursday 13 September 2001 01:19, Harold Hartley wrote:
> I would like to know if the mandrake 8.1 will have more of the LSB (Linux
> Standard Base) when released..
> If not, when will mandrake be incorporating the LSB into it for daily use..
>
> Harold

The compliance right now is very high, but no one realizes it.  Some think
that you have to have desktop managers in /opt to be compliant with FHS
2.2--NOT SO--the location of desktop menagers is unspecified except as rather
vague generalities.

We have added an lsb compatibility lib as a companion to the glibc that
everyone uses, and we are examining the return codes of our initscripts by
hand.  No current compiler meets all the tests, including gcc 2.95.3 and gcc
3.01, and we have one person working full time on LSB.  QA is still catching
the occasional package build that puts something in the wrong directory and
fixing it, but 8.0 compliance was over 95% and our current beta is over 99%.

There are many things people have posted here under "lack of standards" which
were nonsense, or which LSB certainly did not address.  Before anyone starts
posting about LSB, read it.  Read also FHS 2.2.  For example, we did _not_
jump to implement proposed directories like /media which were in the proposed
document when 8.0 was being prepared while others did and heavily adverised
their LSB compliance.  Strangely enough, in the final version of FHS 2.2
there was no /media directory.

But 100% compliance now?  Not quite.  For one thing, we are not even sure the
automated testing software supplied by the LSB project is complete (it is
just a beta) and for another, we probably need gcc 3.1 or later, and so does
everyone else.

Civileme