Friend of mine recently installed Mandrake 8.0 onto his laptop.  He now can't
get into his Win2K partition (which is important for school tommorow).  This
is his current lilo.conf file.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message\/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
               label=linux
               root=/dev/hda5
               initrd=/boot/initrd.img
               append=" devfs=mount"
               read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
               label=failsafe
               root=/dev/hda5
               initrd=/boot/initrd.img
               append=" devfs=mount failsafe"
               read-only
other=/dev/hda1
            label=NT
            table=/dev/hda

I then got him to try this lilo.conf (mine)

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=NT
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message-graphic
menu-scheme-wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
             label=linux
             root=/dev/hda5
             initrd=/boot/initrd.img
             append=" hdc-ide-scsi quiet"
             vga=788
             read-only

...some stuff in the middle

other=/dev/hda1
             label=NT
             table=/dev/hda

When he runs lilo.. he gets:

Fatal:  Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x305

I tried to think of him going into linuxconf and possibly switch to GRUB as a
temp. work around, but now he is getting an unending series of 40 40 40 40...
when he tries to get into linuxconf.

Ideas???

This is beyond my knowledge (especially since I'm remote from him..)