It has been awhile...but, if you installed StarOffice as root and without the
/net switch, only root will be able to use it.  In /usr/local there should be
a StarOffice directory.  Within this directory, there should be a program
directory.  In program, there should be a binary called "soffice".  You can
create a symlink to it in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin as you wish.

I would suggest, if you did NOT install SO with the /net switch, that you
delete the staroffice directory and reinstall with with the /net switch so
that regular users can use it.

Staroffice no longer works with the KDE menu system, by the way.  It used to
install its icons in a subdirectory in your kmenu but no longer.  You will
have to manually create your kmenu entries.

I just downloaded StarOffice 6.0 beta myself.  DAMN!  It's frickin' HUGE!
118MB.  That's right, 118 MEGABYTES in size.  It's size has nearly doubled
since the last time I downloaded it.  I was going to install it on my laptop
but I don't have the hd space to permit something that big to take up
residence.