Mandrake staff,

First off let me congratulate you on a very nice release (8.1). I have
loaded it on one of my older boxes, and it works very nicely. My
question is about installing it on a newer box. This machine is a Tyan
M/B (S2390B) with KT133 (VIA 686B Southbridge), Athlon 1.33GHZ, 768M
PC-133 RAM, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro, and, I must add, it is a
piece of shit. This install is on a dual boot disk with W2K Pro Server
residing on the first partition. MDK starts on hda5. I am sure Mandrake
8.1 is not at fault. It is, no doubt, the buggy hardware. But maybe,
just maybe, you might have some insight or work around. I simply love
Mandrake, and I hope I can get it installed...

The type of install that takes me the furthest into the process is an
expert install, creating custom mount points (partitions are /, /boot,
/usr/, swap, /var, and /home), and using the reiserfs f/s. Using this
method, I can get all the way to the process in which the packages are
actually being copied from CD to harddrive. The install process will
copy files for a length of time. Performing multiple installs, this
copying can varies from 2 mins of copy activity to 20 mins of copy
activity. And then it just stops on some package, no particular package
(varies each install session), no errors msgs, and it is stopped until I
do a hard reboot. Any ideas as to what in the hell is going on between
software and hardware?

Thanks,

--
J. Craig Woods